Guys, it’s hella cold here in London. So cold the only thing I can think about is fleecy pyjamas and steaming bowls of comfort food- preferably served to me in bed, where I can eat them under my duvet and my lambswool blanket.
Unfortunately- it’s also January. You know January; the first month of the year when lots of us make ridiculous promises to eat clean, not drink and exercise for moronic reasons like new year, new me? That one.
Well, I have actually been keeping my promises for a change and all in I do actually feel better- but, today is especially cold ad I hear it’s even going to snow. So my brain is saying: ‘eat healthy Rita, you can do it xxxx’, while my stomach is saying ‘give me baaaaaaacon and carbs!!!!’. I crave loaded potato skins like nobody’s business, you guys. NOBODY’S BUSINESS.
Luckily I have found a recipe that is both light(er), but also full of bacon and potato and cheese. It’s a slow-cooker recipe which is just the best because it gives me the chance to get on with things will my dinner makes itself. WIN. So, without further ado:
Light & Loaded Potato Soup
for two people you will need:
700g of potatoes
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon of plain flour
2 1/2 cups of chicken stock
3 rashers of bacon- all fat trimmed off
60g of sharp cheddar, grated
1/2 a cup of fat free fromage frais
1/2 a cup of quark (a fat free type of creamy cheese)
- In a large skillet or frying pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Save for later.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 15-20 seconds until fragrant, make sure you use the same pan you cooked the bacon in for EXTRA FLAVA. Add the onions and thyme. Cook until it all smells amazing and is all soft and delicious.
- Add flour and stir to combine. Cook for about one minute and then slowly add 1 cup of chicken stock. Stir to combine- I like to let it reduce a bit and give the onions a chance to caramalise a little. Transfer onion mixture (including all the browned bacon bits from the pan) into the slow cooker pot.
- Add cut potatoes in slow cooker pot, following by remaining chicken stock. Cover slow cooker with lid and set to cook for 4-5 hours on low, or 2.5hours on high.
- Once potatoes are soft and tender, scoop out the majority (BUT NOT ALL) of the potatoes from slow cooker. Place in a large bowl and mash them up- mean really go to ton, we want this stuff to be creamer than mash potatoes. Add the fat free fromage frais. Stir to combine and chuck it all back into the pan with the rest of the potatoes.
- Add almost all the shredded cheese to slow cooker and stir to mix. Now this bit is the hardest because it will all smells LUSH: leave it for five minutes. Season to taste. Serve with green onions, crumbled bacon, additional cheddar cheese, sour cream, and other toppings your enjoy with baked potato. Mine Looked like this: